Competent Crew - Becoming a Useful Crew Member
Competent Crew is the course for the beginner to learn the basics and to enjoy the delights of sailing aboard a cruising yacht.
It is also an ideal stepping stone for dinghy sailors to try yachting and for those who have already done some crewing but wish to develop a little further.
- 5 days (Sunday to Friday) or 3 weekends
- Maximum 5 students per course
Previous experience required
- Introduction to yachting, basic seamanship and helmsman-ship skills
- Fundamentals of crewing such as knots, nautical terms, sail handling and helming
- How to "live" in the environment of a cruising yacht
With a maximum of 5 students per course, your fully qualified instructor will devote plenty of time to your needs as a beginner.
Safety is paramount in all RYA courses and you will learn how to operate flares, life jackets, safety harnesses, liferafts, how to assist the recovery of a man overboard and participate in a night sail of up to 4 hours duration.
During the course you will spend all 5 days aboard the yacht visiting many of the harbours and anchorages in Solent and surrounding areas and if the weather allows, complete a longer coastal or offshore passage.
- Accommodation on yacht
- All snacks & meals except one evening meal taken ashore
- Mooring fees
- Gas & fuel
- Use of life jackets
- Free car parking
- One evening meal (eaten ashore)
- Loan of waterproofs
To assist you in your course you may wish to purchase a Competent Crew book from us.
Successful Course Outcomes
At the end of the course you will be awarded the RYA competent Crew certificate and be an asset to any crew you join.