Divemaster - become a professional
Take your first step into professional scuba diving as a PADI Divemaster
Do you have a deep and abiding passion for diving? If so, you should consider doing what you love for a living: become a PADI Divemaster.
When you Join the Tribe™ by becoming a PADI Divemaster, you align yourself with the largest and most respected dive tribe in the world - that of PADI Professionals. These are PADI Divemasters and instructors sharing a passion for diving and an active concern for the health of the world’s underwater habitats.
PADI Divemaster Course
Looking for the first step in working with scuba as a career? Your adventure into the professional levels of recreational scuba diving begins with the PADI Divemaster programme. Working closely with a PADI instructor, in this programme you will expand your dive knowledge and hone your skills to the professional level. PADI Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. PADI Divemaster is the prerequisite certification for both the PADI Assistant Instructor and PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor certifications.
Get started now with Divemaster Online! Take Divemaster Online Today - contact us to find out how
What you learn
During the PADI Divemaster programme, you learn dive leadership skills through both classroom and independent study. You will complete water skills and stamina exercises, as well as training exercises that stretch your ability to organise and solve problems as well as help others improve their scuba. You will put this knowledge into action through a structured internship or series of practical training exercises.
As you progress through your Divemaster course, you’ll expand your diving knowledge, hone your skills and increase your confidence. Then, as a PADI Divemaster, you’ll use these attributes to lead, mentor and motivate other divers and experience the joy of seeing them transformed by the majesty of the the aquatic realm.
What you can teach
After becoming certified as a PADI Divemaster you will be authorised to:
- Supervise both training and non-training-related activities by planning, organising and directing dives
- Assist a PADI Instructor during the training sessions for any PADI Diver course
- Conduct the PADI Skin Diver course and PADI Discover Snorkelling programme
- Conduct the PADI Discover Local Diving experience
- Conduct the PADI Scuba Review programme
- If qualified as a Discover Scuba Diving Leader, independently conduct the PADI Discover Scuba Diving programme
- Earn the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer Specialty Instructor rating to be able to teach the PADI Digital Underwater Photographer specialty
- Independently guide Open Water Diver course students on the tour portion of Open Water Diver course Training Dives 2, 3 and 4 at a ratio of two student divers per certified divemaster.
- Accompany Open Water Diver students under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor during:
- surface swims to and from the entry/exit point and during navigational exercises
- when the instructor conducts a skill, such as an ascent or descent, a Divemaster can remain with other student divers (with an individual student or buddy team)
- Accompany student divers during Adventure Dives or Specialty training dives under the indirect supervision of a PADI Instructor
- Conduct the PADI Seal Team Skin Diver Specialist AquaMission
- Conduct subsequent dives under an instructor’s indirect supervision for Discover Scuba Diving participants after participants have satisfactorily completed the first dive with a PADI Instructor
- Teach Emergency First Response courses after successfully completing an Emergency First Response Instructor course
- At a glance, compare what you can teach when you continue your professional diver education
- Expand your scuba diving knowledge and experience as a PADI Divemaster
The scuba gear you use
You use all the basic scuba equipment and some scuba accessories such as a dive slate, dive knife, compass, dive watch, etc.
It is highly recommended that you own all of your own scuba equipment, as familiarity with personal gear improves general scuba diving skills. You can find almost everything at your local dive shop.
The learning materials you need
The PADI Divemaster Crew-Pak includes:
- PADI Divemaster Manual
- Divemaster slates
- PADI Instructor Manual
- The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving - a comprehensive overview of diving physics, physiology, and equipment
- Scuba Tune-up Guidebook
- PADI Professional Log
- DSD Cue Cards
- PADI Pro Bag
- PADI Divemaster Application package
There are other required materials that a Divemaster Candidate will need but may have received them during other PADI programmes so they have not been included in the Divemaster Crew-Pak. Please ask your PADI Instructor for the full list of required materials that you will need for the programme.
You also have the option to take Divemaster Online and purchase the Divemaster eLearning Crew-Pak.
To purchase Crew-Paks, contact us today.
To take this course, you must be:
- 18 years old
- A PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organisation)
- A PADI Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organisation)
- An Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (or qualifying first aid and CPR training from another organisation) course completion within the past 24 months
- Have at least 40 dives to begin the course and 60 for certification
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months
Book This Course
Other courses that will prepare you for success as a PADI Divemaster
Continue your scuba education to become a more successful PADI Divemaster.
Here are some suggestions for other PADI courses that will help make you more successful as a PADI Divemaster:
- Search and Recovery (highly recommended)
- Deep Diver (highly recommended)
- Dive Theory Online
- Boat Diver
- Coral Reef Conservation
- Digital Underwater Photographer
- Emergency First Response Instructor
- Emergency Oxygen Provider
- Enriched Air Diver (you can even sign up for the PADI Enriched Air Course Online!)
- Equipment Specialist
- Night Diver
- Peak Performance Buoyancy
- Underwater Naturalist
- Underwater Navigation
Contact us to find out more about these courses